Help your child foster awareness by saying:
- Notice how… these rocks are slippery, that branch is strong.
- Do you see… the poison ivy, your friends nearby?
- Try moving… your feet carefully, quickly, strongly.
- Try using your… hands, feet, arms, legs.
- Can you hear… the rushing water, the singing birds, the wind?
- Do you feel… stable on that rock, the heat from the fire?
- Are you feeling… scared, excited, tired, safe?
Help your child problem solve by saying:
- What’s your plan… if you climb that boulder, cross that log?
- What can you use… to get across, for your adventure?
- Where will you… put that rock, climb that tree dig that hole?
- How will you…. get down, go up, get across?
- Who will… be with you, go with you, help you if?